The Cork Backpack from Corkor is an elegant yet comfortable and classic piece, with enough pizzazz to light up the room. Practical, stylish, and ideal for holding all of your daily necessities, it has one large inside compartment with a key holder, an interior slip pocket and a zipper pocket.
This vegan handcrafted backpack pulls tightly shut with a drawstring closure at the top and features a top flap to cover the drawstring. The outside is made entirely of genuine, FSC certified Portuguese cork with metal accents, and the interior lining is made of cotton. The cork exterior of this backpack renders it surprisingly lightweight, as well as resistant to water, dirt, dust, and mold. Don't worry if you get caught in the rain, as this bag will keep all of your belongings nice and dry!
About the making of this bag:
The high-quality natural cork used to make the cork cross-body handle bag was hand-harvested by skilled workers from the Cork Oak tree in Portugal. Only the bark is harvested from the Cork Oak, which does not harm the tree in any way, but instead, allows the tree to enter into a regeneration process that allows it to live a longer life. Cork Oaks are only harvested every nine years and protected by Portuguese law.
The cork bark was then was stacked to dry. Once dried, the cork bark was then boiled in water and flattened, and the cork was then compressed into a thick cork fabric roll.
To complete the transformation of this cork fabric into cork leather, a thin layer of cork, about the width of a piece of paper, is shaved off of the cork fabric roll. This becomes the cork leather that is used to create the cork exterior of the bag. The cork leather was carefully sewn together to form the walls of the bag, along with cotton fabric to create the interior lining. The entire creation of each bag is made from start to finish by one single person, completely in-house at the Corkor facilities. For this reason, no two bags are ever exactly the same, and each bag is a unique piece of nature.
- Length: 11.4 inches (29 cm)
- Height: 11.4 inches (29 cm)
- Width: 6.3 inches (16 cm)
- Strap length (2 straps): 23.6 inches (60 cm)
- 100% High-quality Portuguese cork exterior material
- Hypoallergenic: cork is resistant to damage from water, dirt, and mold
- Hand-stitched details around exterior
- Drawstring closure on top of bag with cork toggle
- Adjustable shoulder straps
- Four metal studs or "feet" on the bottom of the purse to keep it from touching the floor
- Durable craftsmanship to last for years of daily usage
- Comes in brown cork (brown color created using natural dyes)
- 100% Cotton interior lining
- 1 Interior Zippered Pocket
- Hanging hook for attaching your keys
- Spacious center of bag for carrying small books, a water bottle, smart phone, wallet, small sweater/jacket, etc.
- Handmade in Portugal by Corkor
- Certified Vegan by PETA
- FSC Certified Portuguese Cork
- Weighs 21 ounces (600 grams)