This cork handbag is simple, natural, and always in style. A go-to for the everyday or for evening wear, this bag is neutral enough to go with any outfit, but unique enough to always make a statement. With beautiful patterns that are different on every bag, cork makes this bag lightweight and able to resist the elements. With two carrying options, this bag has two small handles for carrying by hand when taking a stroll, as well as a removable shoulder strap for using as a cross-body bag when moving at a fast pace through a crowded city.
Inside, the bag is lined entirely with cotton. It has a pocket for your cell phone or small items along one interior wall of the bag, and a large zippered pocket along the other interior wall. This bag is also equipped with a hook for your keys to be able to quickly pull them out of your bag. It closes securely with a zipper along the top.
About the making of this bag:
The high-quality natural cork used to make the cork cross-body handle bag was hand-harvested by skilled workers from the Cork Oak tree in Portugal. Only the bark is harvested from the Cork Oak, which does not harm the tree in any way, but instead, allows the tree to enter into a regeneration process that allows it to live a longer life. Cork Oaks are only harvested every nine years and protected by Portuguese law.
The cork bark was then was stacked to dry. Once dried, the cork bark was then boiled in water and flattened, and the cork was then compressed into a thick cork fabric roll.
To complete the transformation of this cork fabric into cork leather, a thin layer of cork, about the width of a piece of paper, is shaved off of the cork fabric roll. This becomes the cork leather that is used to create the cork exterior of the bag. The cork leather was carefully sewn together to form the walls of the bag, along with cotton fabric to create the interior lining. The entire creation of each bag is made from start to finish by one single person, completely in-house at the Corkor facilities. For this reason, no two bags are ever exactly the same, and each bag is a unique piece of nature.
- Length: 12 inches (27 cm)
- Height: 9 inches (24 cm)
- Width: 5.5 inches (14 cm)
- 100% High-quality Portuguese cork exterior material
- Resistant to damage from water, dirt, and mold
- Hand-stitched details around exterior
- Zip closure along top of bag with cork toggle
- Two handles made for carrying by hand and removable shoulder strap for using as a cross-body
- Four metal studs or "feet" on the bottom of the purse to keep it from touching the floor
- Comes in zebra natural and brown cork color variations (colors created using natural dyes)
- 100% Cotton interior lining
- One small interior open pocket along one inside wall
- Additional zippered interior pocket along other inside wall
- Hanging hook for attaching your keys
- Spacious center of bag for carrying small books, a water bottle, etc.
- Handmade in Portugal by Corkor
- Certified Vegan by PETA
- FSC Certified Portuguese Cork
- Weighs 14 ounces (400 grams)