This cork satchel from Corkor is an absolute staple to add to your ethically-inspired wardrobe. This timeless purse melds the classic satchel with innovative cork design. Ideal for the everyday, as well as an evening out, this effortlessly elegant bag is easily adapted to any look. Inside, it has all of the functionality you could ever ask for, with four interior pockets (two on the left side and two on the right side) to keep all of your things neatly organized, as well as a zippered compartment behind two of the interior pockets, that is as large as the entire side of the bag. It also has a convenient hook for your keys to find them without having to search.
This bag is incredibly spacious and is able to hold anything that you might need to carry, but is much lighter compared to what you might expect from an average bag of this size, as cork is a remarkably lightweight material. It closes securely with a top zipper, and fits over the shoulder for easy carrying.
About the making of this bag:
The high-quality natural cork used to make the cork satchel bag was hand-harvested by skilled workers from the Cork Oak tree in Portugal. Only the bark is harvested from the Cork Oak, which does not harm the tree in any way, but instead, allows the tree to enter into a regeneration process that allows it to live a longer life. Cork Oaks are only harvested every nine years and protected by Portuguese law.
The cork bark was then was stacked to dry. Once dried, the cork bark was then boiled in water and flattened, and the cork was then compressed into a thick cork fabric roll.
To complete the transformation of this cork fabric into cork leather, a thin layer of cork, about the width of a piece of paper, is shaved off of the cork fabric roll. This becomes the cork leather that is used to create the cork exterior of the bag. The cork leather was carefully sewn together to form the walls of the bag, along with cotton fabric to create the interior lining. The entire creation of each bag is made from start to finish by one single person, completely in-house at the Corkor facilities. For this reason, no two bags are ever exactly the same, and each bag is a unique piece of nature.
- Length: 17 inches (43 cm)
- Height: 11 inches (27 cm)
- Width: 6 inches (15 cm)
- 100% High-quality Portuguese cork exterior material
- Resistant to damage from water, dirt, and mold
- Hand-stitched details around exterior
- Zip closure along top of bag with cork toggle
- "Belt buckle" design attaching handles to bag
- Two handles made for wearing the bag over the shoulder
- Four metal studs or "feet" on the bottom of the purse to keep it from touching the floor
- Comes in striped natural, brown, and red cork color variations (brown and red cork made using natural dyes)
- 100% Cotton interior lining
- Interior zippered compartment that covers the entire back side of the bag
- One cell phone pocket and three large interior slot pockets that are large enough to hold your tablet, wallet, glasses case, and more
- Hanging hook for attaching your keys
- Spacious center of bag for carrying books, notebooks, a water bottle, etc.
- Handmade in Portugal by Corkor
- Certified Vegan by PETA
- FSC Certified Portuguese Cork
- Weighs 18 ounces (510 grams)